Corn is the most common type of food item used to prepare many dishes throughout the world. The most basic as well as the most liked thing prepared by using corns are pop corns. However these corns can trigger allergic reactions in you.
An allergic reaction occurs when your immune systems overreacts when you eat corn or its products and thinks it an an outsider and releases antibodies called histamine, which in turn shows up the signs and symptoms of allergy.
Corn allergy is very rare but it can happen when it is cross contaminated by other product like soy.
Symptoms of corn allergy
It is to be noted that the severity and symptoms of corn allergy may vary from person to person. Signs in one person may not be the same as others. For some the reaction may be mild while for other it can be as severe as life threatening. The following are some of the allergic reactions that can be found in the person after eating corn and its products.
- Runny nose
- Head ache
- Tingling of lips
- Itchiness in mouth
- Swelling of lips, mouth or even all parts of the body
- Hives or eczema
Apart from these mild reactions there may be several severe reactions like
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sudden drop in blood pressure
- Swelling of air passage
When To See A Doctor?
As soon as you witness the above mentioned symptoms immediately consult the doctor. Give him all the details as to what you have eaten and from how long you have been suffering. The doctor will examine you carefully and carry out some tests before prescribing you medicines.
The doctor may conduct two type of tests
- Blood test: in this the doctor will take your blood sample and send it to laboratory for further investigation. After seeing the result you will be given medicines.
- Skin prick test: in this the doctor insert tiny amount of corn protein in your body with the help of a If you are allergic then the skin around the test area may turn out red and itchy indicating the positivity of corn allergy. If you do not have any allergy then the skin may remain the same.
How To Avoid Corn Allergy?
Some times it is possible that even by mere touching of allergen can also cause allergic reaction in you. You can take the following measures in order to avoid corn allergy.
- The best way to avoid any kind of allergy is to avoid allergen in first place. Avoid eating corn and its products.
- You need to be very careful while consuming food outside.
- Always ask for the available ingredients while ordering your food in a restaurant.
- Check the label of food products before making purchase
- Canned food mostly contain corns, make your choice wisely.
The following are the food items that contain corns
- Beverages and soda
- Baked food items
- Canned foods
- Flavored milk
- Luncheon meat
- Malt syrup