Foods to Avoid with Milk Allergy

foods to avoid with milk allergy
Yogurt

To treat an allergy, you must stop consuming irritants. Dairy products are used in included in various products. In this article I’ll discuss on foods to avoid with milk allergy.

2 to 3 percent of babies under the age of 3 are allergic to milk. About 20 percent of them will outgrow the allergy by 4 years of age. Remaining 80 percent children will experience milk allergy up to the age 15 or 16.

Symptoms of milk allergy include rashes, diarrhea, asthma and vomiting. According to experts two compounds namely casein and whey are major causes of this allergy. Though diagnosis and after the treatment, allergist will recommend to avoid foods with milk allergy.

Foods to Avoid with Milk Allergy

You can recognize milk proteins at the ingredient’s list mentioned on the product. Terms that represent milk protein ingredients are whey, dried milk solids, words lacta or lacto, and caseinate.

Though milk is subjected to evaporation, dry, nonfat and condensed process, allergens are included in it. Thus you must avoid them. Immune system can’t detect broken down milk proteins, so children hypersensitive to milk protein can consume it.

Store brought items like ice-cream, cookies, curds, custard, sour cream, ghee, nougat, rennet, butter, butter milk, yogurt and cheese are incorporated with dairy products which must be avoided.

Sorry children, even baked foods like cakes, breads and chocolates are made with milk, which must be avoided. Other bakery items like Bavarian cream, caramel, coconut cream, creamy soups, sauces, cereals, pancakes, instant cocoa and white sauces include milk protein ingredients.

I know it’s not an easy task to avoid such huge list of daily used products. But you should refrain to prevent allergic reaction. Once your child outgrow with allergy, then you may feel relaxed. But, consult allergist or doctor before proceeding with milk products.

Lactose intolerance is different from milk allergy. Lactose present in milk can’t digest and leads to symptoms like stomach pain, gas and diarrhea, which doesn’t come under allergy. You must allergist or doctor to confirm whether its allergy or intolerance.

Most people think it’s just about cow milk, sheep or goat milk is safe. But, I recommend asking doctor if it’s safe to serve sheep or goat’s milk. You can check more about milk allergy here.

Symptoms like hives, stomach upset, blood stools and vomiting can be seen in children with milk allergy.

Once you see uncommon signs like mentioned above, reach for the doctor. He/she will ask details like what you served and about the experience after eating etc… Test like skin prick test and other related test will be conducted to confirm about the specified allergen. Accordingly, medication will be prescribed.

Avoidance of foods with milk proteins is the most recommended way to thwart this allergic reaction.

Image source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *