Garlic belongs to onion family and is extensively used for culinary purpose. A single garlic bulb consists of 10-20 cloves. You can use this home available remedy for common cold and flu.
Garlic is a powerful antioxidant with antimicrobial, antiviral properties. For Colds and Flu’s. It is also providing decongestant and expectorant effects. While none of Garlic’s components have been isolated by science as the sole explanation for garlic’s flu-busting effects, vitamin Ca slew of enzymes and minerals such as selenium and sulphur.
Allicin, is a sulfur compound present in crushed cloves can has many medicinal properties. Because of this compound you get distinct smell in garlic. Apart from this vitamin C, B6, fiber, calcium, selenium and manganese are packed in this natural remedy.
One of the easiest ways to use garlic for cold and flu is to swallow it directly with food or honey. If you’ve sensitive stomach, then experts recommend limiting garlic use.
When you internally consume garlic, antioxidant agents fight free radicals in your body that can interrupt healthy functioning. Apart from this, antimicrobial, antiviral and antibiotic agents fight germs and allergens that caused cold and flu.
How Garlic for Cold and Flu Works?
Cold and flu are two different infections that attack respiratory tract. Though symptoms of cold and flu are identical flu is can make your day worse. Flu or influenza is contagious illness caused by influenza A or B viruses. Congestion, sneezing, sore throat, coughing, headache, body aches, fatigues and weakness are few common symptoms of flu.
Common cold can be caused by 200 different types of viruses. When a virus enters your body and overpowers immune system, in defense mucus is generated. This slippery fluid traps virus, bacteria and other impurities. Slowly, the virus gets control of cell and spreads the infection.
Most people take 1 garlic clove per week as a prevent measure. It would be great if you too start practicing this inexpensive remedy before season starts.
- As mentioned garlic has an active compound known as allicin, it has antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant agents which can thwart infectious germs and fungi.
- You must crush garlic clove to stimulate a chemical reaction, so that allicin is produced.
- Now, that you know about the exceptional benefits of garlic for cold you can much it right away. If you’ve sensitive stomach, then have some nutritional diet and try this remedy.
- One simple method is to cut garlic clove and such it for 15 minutes. Let the juice starts working on allergens.
To get rid of its distinct smell, you can crush cloves and add raw honey or olive oil to it. Else you can swallow it with food.
Does garlic help to Treat Cold
Yes, Garlic is naturally antiviral and anti-bacterial. It fights with the germ that causes the common cold while providing your body with antioxidants it needs to function properly.
- Garlic has an antiseptic property that helps the immune system protect against the cold virus.
- Garlic contains Allicine, a very powerful anti-oxidant that is helpful to kill the cold virus.
- It contains vitamin C, selenium, sulphur and various other enzymes and minerals that help the body to fight with the common cold.
- The oil in garlic is a natural expectorant that breaks up mucus to clear congestion.
- It contains antiviral, antibiotic and antimicrobial properties which help to treat the cold and its symptoms.
Use of Garlic to Treat the Common Cold
For the best results, get through raw garlic on a daily source and regularly use of garlic to the spice your cooking,, in addition to those two methods, try the recipes and treatments outlined below.
- Crush one garlic clove and suck on it like a lozenge for 15 minute.
- Also eat one or two fresh garlic clove every 4 hours.
Garlic and Honey Toast
- Mince garlic and let it sit for 15 minutes so the enzymes have time to activate.
- Temporarily, make toast and spread raw honey on it.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic on the toast and eat it.
- Eat regularly to prevent cold.
Garlic and Water
- Mince @ cloves Garlic and stir them into glass of water.
- Drink daily to get rid of cold.
A study was carried out with 146 members who have common cold. They were given allicin compound and another group was given placebo for about 12 weeks. Interestingly, people with garlic treatment showed 63% reduction.
Not just cold or flu, you can use garlic to treat blood pressure, detoxify heavy metals, improves bone health, prevents Alzheimer and may lower heart diseases.
Did you ever use garlic to treat cold or flu? Let us know in comments.