Repeatedly sneezing is annoying and everyone try to stop or get rid of it. Actually, sneezing is good for your health. Hold on and let me explain the process of sneezing. Irritants residing in your nose tickle; which sends a message to the brain sneezing center. To protect your body from allergic irritants, brain sends signals to all muscles to perform sneezing action. So in no time the process is initiated to expel the foreign object from the nose.
By sneezing you’re actually throwing allergens out of your body. But it’s embarrassing to sneeze all the time. So, one will certainly think on how to stop sneezing. Over the counter medication have side-effects such as drowsiness. There are few prominent home remedies to stop sneezing from allergies.
Various factors cause sneezing, most often cause is due to allergens like pollen, mold, pat dander or dust. When you come in contact with any of these irritants, then an allergic reaction triggers (vary from person to person). In few cases sunlight and direct light causes sneezing, this is caused due to genetic issue. You must check with your doctor.
How to Stop Sneezing Due to Allergy?
Drugs prescribed by physicians are enough to get rid of sneezing. But, if you’re frequently sneezing, using chemical filled drugs all the time is not so safe. Use home remedies to stop sneezing naturally, as they have no or less side-effects.
1. Inhale steam to stop sneezing
Allergens entered in your nose tickles, to combat these irritants your immune system produces antibodies. These antibodies react and lead to allergic symptoms like sneezing, runny or stuffed nose. When you inhale steam with peppermint oil added in it, assorted properties in this oil will reduce inflammation and gives instant relief.
- Take hot water in a bowl and add 5 drops of peppermint oil to it.
- Bend over the bowl and cover yourself with a towel.
- Take a long breathe and release the air slowly.
- Repeat the process twice per day.
2. Blow your nose
As blowing your nose will throw out the irritants out, you can relieve from sneezing.
Also read: Home remedies for cold allergy
3. Drink Chamomile tea
It’s an herb packed with natural antihistamine and mild sedative. Having a cup of chamomile tea will relieve you from sneezing and cold. Best time is before going bed, so that you can have a good sleep.
- Get some 1 table spoon of dried chamomile flowers in a bowl and add 1 cup of water to it.
- Boil it for few minutes and then optionally add honey to it.
- As honey is packed with anti-inflammatory agents it can effectively reduce inflammation in your nose.
- You can have this tea in the morning and before going to bed.
4. Honey and lemon tea
Both honey and lemon have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Brew a cup of tea with green tea or black tea and add 1-2 teaspoon of honey and 1 drop of lemon to it.
Limit the use of lemon if you’ve severe cold.
5. Garlic to stop sneezing
Antiviral and antibiotic agents in garlic can effectively fight infection. Just crush 2-3 fresh garlic cloves and inhale the fragrance.
This will reduce congestion and give your instant relief.
6. Take Vitamin C to stop sneezing
Irritants trigger production of histamine that leads to sneezing. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine, means it minimizes the production of histamine and thus stops sneezing.
Consider consuming vitamin C rich food. Peppermint tea, orange juice and lemonade are good source of this vitamin.
7. Lavender oil to stop sneezing
Strong properties in lavender oil can effectively remove congestion and relieve you from stuffed nose. Drop 1-2 drops of lavender oil on a cotton ball and dab it on one of the nostrils. Else, you can smell lavender oil by dropping it over cotton ball.
8. Fennel tea
Fennel is capable of controlling your sneeze as it has got anti-viral and anti-oxidant properties. Apart from sneezing it can also treat upper respiratory infections. To make fennel tea you need to boil a cup of water and then add 1-2 teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds. Allow the fennel seeds to stay for a while and then strain the water and drink it. Do not boil the water after adding the fennel as the natural oils will get destroyed.
9. Black pepper
Black pepper can also be used as a solution to treat sneeze and runny nose. Take a cup of luke warm water and mix half a teaspoon of black pepper in it, drink this twice or thrice in a day to get rid off sneeze. Prefer eating food items like salad or hot soup with black pepper in it. You can even gargle with black pepper water for cold and its effects.
One of the oldest and widely used home remedy to treat cold and nasal problem is ginger. It helps to control your sneeze and treats your sore throat. In order to use this remedy you need to make ginger tea. Take a ginger and slice few pieces from it, add this pieces to a cup of boil boiling water. Strain the water and sip this hot tea by adding a teaspoon of honey in it.
Other remedies include fenugreek seeds, oil of oregano and nettle tea. While making your tea, try dried herbal flowers or leaves. As they’ve more nutritional value than tea bags.
Best way to stop sneezing is to stay away from allergens. When you come in contact with dust mites, dander or other irritants allergic reaction is triggered. Practice a hygienic lifestyle and keep your home and bed from allergens.
- When you sneeze the foreign objects are blown with the speed of 160km/hr, if you try to stop this velocity, your inner parts are going to be damaged. If the sneeze is already started then its recommend to let it go. Don’t close your nose or mouth.
- Use a tissue paper or clean cloth while sneezing, because the allergens may spread to people around you.
- Blow your nose or catch the upper part of the nose and stretch to stop sneezing.
- Tickle the roof of your mouth using tongue to stop sneezing.
- Another easy way is to distract you by pinching your upper lip, ear or hand.