Para Phenylenediamine Allergy

Para phenylenediamine allergy

Para PhenyleneDiamine or PPD is extensively used in hair color and other daily used products. This chemical substance used for permanent dye. However, in 2006 American Contact Dermatitis Society declared it Para phenylenediamine allergy as contact allergen of the year.

Apart from hair dye, PPD is used in textiles, fur dyes, tattoos, black rubber, black cosmetics, oils, greases and lithography plates.

With its unique feature, hair can be shampooed and washed repeatedly, and your hair won’t get discolored. PPD is colorless; reaction with oxygen turns it to color.

According to experts, fully oxidized PPD is safe to use and people who’re allergic to Para phenylenediamine can use products like wigs and fur coats prepared by PPD.

Probably, allergic reaction triggers when PPD is in its intermediate state of oxidization.

Para phenylenediamine Allergy

Immune system in hypersensitive people, react when it comes in contact with this chemical ingredient, resulting in various skin and health ailments.

Initially, immune system releases IgE antibodies when it detects harmful substances. Next time when you ingest or contact the identical allergen, antibodies determine and signal immune system to release histamines. Adverse reaction leads to various allergic symptoms.

Few years back when my father wasn’t aware that he is allergic to Para phenylenediamine used renowned hair dye. Everything went fine, but within few hours, the skin on neck and around ears started itching. Rashes and small blisters started appearing. His eyes and forehead looked like swollen.

Things came down, after medication. From them allergist recommended my dad to stay away from all types of hair dyes.

Out of enthusiasm, I too used hair dye once. But, for me things went fine. However, I ended with mild inflamed eyes and sneezing.

So it all depends on the person. If I use hair dye now, probably I may too get severe symptoms like my dad. Instead of hair dye, now he uses henna a natural powder that turns your hair orange.

May be this is the reason why most people in India don’t use hair dye.

If you don’t know whether you’re allergic to Para phenylenediamine or any other chemical ingredient in hair dye, then initially patch test by applying small amount of hair color. If things went well for a couple of days, then you can use it.

However, I never recommend using hair dye because they don’t strengthen your hair like natural ingredients can do. Instead of using these cosmetic products, use natural essential oils to strengthen hair growth.

Skin rashes, blisters, sneezing, watery eyes, itching, redness on skin, swelling and breathing problem can be Para phenylenediamine allergy symptoms.

Consult allergist as soon as you experience any of the uncommon symptoms after using hair dye.

Allergist will diagnose by conducting skin prick test and may ask you some questions regarding the product. Topical cream and medication must be considered to treat the allergy.

And for next time, you must stay away from the products that include such chemical incorporated ingredients.

Image source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *