Soy is one of the most common food item used in preparing dishes as well as it is present in many processed foods. Apart from these soy is one of the most active ingredient present in infant formula. Most kids are likely to suffer from soy allergy first time under the age of 3 and it may outgrow it by the age of 10.
Soy beans belongs to the legume family which also includes kidney beans, peanuts, lentils and peas. It is most likely that people who are allergic to peanuts or kidney beans may also suffer allergic reactions when they consume soy beans. But this does not apply to all, it may or may not effect.
A person is most likely to get affected by soy allergy when the immune system mistakes soy as an outsider and releases antibodies, next time when the person consumes soy the immune system releases histamine which in turn causes allergic reactions.
Symptoms Of Soy Allergy
Mentioned below are the symptoms of soy allergy
- Itchy mouth
- Redness and rashes of skin
- Abdominal pain
- Runny nose
Apart from these symptoms a person may also suffer from serious symptoms like
- Breathing difficulty
- Sudden drop in blood pressure
It is advisable to visit the doctor as early as possible if he/she is suffering from serious symptoms. Delay in giving medical help may also cost the persons life. However if there are mild symptoms like rashes, itching etc you can treat it at home. But if it also continues for more than two days then immediately consult allergist or a physician.
Foods To Be Avoided
The following is the list of food items which contains soy, if you are allergic to soy then avoid consuming these items.
- Vegetable broths
- Meat substitutes
- Asian foods
- Frozen meals
- Peanut butter
- Artificial flavouring
- Worcestershire sauce
Soy is also present in the following products
- Soy flour
- Soy nuts
- Soy sauce
- Soy fiber
- Soy protein
How To Avoid Soy Allergy
- The first and more most thing is precaution, as it is said precaution is better than cure.
- The best way to avoid soy allergy is to avoid soy and all the other soy products.
- Make a safe choice while making purchase of canned foods and meat substitutes.
- When dining in a restaurant ask for the available ingredients in your dish.
- Even when at friends place do not hesitate to ask about the ingredients present in the food that you are consuming.
- Always check the labels thoroughly when purchasing any food item at a super store.