Allergy testing involves skin test or blood test to determine what substance or allergen causes allergic to particular person. Skin test is very common test as well as it is less expensive compared to blood test and can easily be done. Skin test is most preferable when compared to other allergy tests.
It is generally done for common allergens such as pollen, mold, dust mites and foods. Once they get on your skin, they could trigger a rash and cause itchy feeling like mosquito bite.
Depending on your case history you may be tested for one food or several. Results may usually appear within 30 minutes. If the results are positive then they are indicated by a wheel, a raised white bump surrounded by a small circle of itchy red skin.
When a large wheel appears on skin then it is more likely to indicate a true food allergy, but size is not an exact predictor. If no wheel appears on your skin then you are not allergic to that particular allergen.
How To Do Your Own Skin Patch Test
We can undergo different type of skin test, to find out the allergen in our bodies.Doing patch test is must when it comes to using essential oils and carrier oils. If you have sensitive skin, it must be difficult to undergo patch test every time as that may cause some red patches on the skin.
Before that, we need to know what skin patch test is and how it is done in doctor’s presence.
Skin Patch Test
For skin patch test, you need to place an allergen placed on a pad that is tapped on the skin for 24-72 hours. This test is generally used to find out the allergy of the skin called dermatitis.
Follow the steps to do skin patch test:
- Doses of allergens are placed on patches which look like bandages.
- And these patches should be placed on the skin.
- Do not take shower up to 72 hours, to know the better results of test.
- After the given time, remove the patches with the help of professional and check the signs of allergens on your skin.
Skin Prick Test
Skin prick test is used to diagnose food allergies, to measure the presence of Ige antibodies for the suspect food. This test is inexpensive and produce immediate results and can be performed by our self.
Follow the steps to undergo skin prick test:
- During this test, a drop of solution of allergen is placed on your fore arm or back.
- By using a small needle or plastic probe you need to scratch the skin to allow the tiny solution of allergen to enter just below the surface of the skin.
- This test is harmless and it is not painful and there is no bleeding.
- Results usually appear within 30 minutes, if it is positive then it shows a wheel mark with redness on your skin and it might give itchy feeling on your skin.
Carrier Oil Patch Test
To test your skin with carrier oil, you need:
- 1 drop of carrier oil
- One cotton ball
What You Need T o Do
- First and foremost you need to do is wash the area you are going to test, like behind ears or wrist or elbow.
- Soak the cotton ball in carrier oil and rub it on the area which is large enough to see redness or irritation.
- Cover the area with a bandage and monitor it for 12 to 24 hours.
- If you don’t find any changes on your skin, then it’s all fine and you can use carrier oil freely.
- If you see any symptoms such as headache, nausea and dizziness, then re do the patch test next day.
- If you have severe reactions like hives, contact dermatitis etc, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
Essential oil Patch Test
To test your skin with essential oil, you need:
- 1 tea spoon of carrier oil
- I tea spoon of essential oil
- One cotton ball
What You Need To Do
- Like patch test for carrier oil, wash the area you want to test.
- Add one drop of essential oil and carrier oil and mix them well
- Dip the cotton ball in the mixture and rub it on one spot.
- Monitor it for 12-24 hours to see the change on your skin.
Some essential oils and carrier oils may have compounds in them that are phototoxic. If you are testing an essential oil that is known to be phototoxic, you should cover your patch area with bandage to avoid direct fall of sunlight on your skin.
Carrier and essential oils break down over time, so you need to be careful while you undergo tests with these oils on your skin.