Occurrence of red eye is quite common in people and this condition is even harmless but only when it occurs without pain. This condition generally happens due to the inflamed blood vessels of the surface of the eyes or if any foreign substances gotten into the eye can also make eyes red.
This condition is also known as “Pink Eye” or “Blood Shot Eye” in general terms. Let’s see the causes and remedies to get rid of red eye easily.
Causes Of Red Eyes
Red eyes can be caused by number of factors. The most common cause of red eyes is the inflamed blood vessels on the surface of eyes due to some irritants.
Some of irritants include
- Bacteria And virus
- Dry air
- Bacteria and virus
Apart from these irritants, the more serious cause of red eyes are infections that can occur in any part of your eyes. These infections also give rise to additional symptoms like pain in the eye, itching and even cause changes in your vision.
Redness in eye is also caused by
- Injured eye
- Scratched cornea caused by irritant.
How To Get Rid Of Red Eyes
We do have many simple remedies to treat redness of eye, if you do not find any change even after following these remedies then immediately consult your doctor for proper treatment. It is advisable to consult your doctor before following the below mentioned remedies.
1. Cold Compress
Cold compress works excellent to reduce inflammation and swelling of eyes. It also helps in constricting blood vessels of the affected eye to reduce redness of eye.
- Take an ice pack or ice cubes wrapped in a washed cloth, and then apply it directly on the affected eye.
- Hold it for a minute and then remove it. Repeat it for more than 5 times in a day.
Cucumber is often considered as one of the best natural remedy especially for eyes. The soothing and cooling properties in cucumber will help in shrinking the blood vessels and treat the condition.
- Take two slices of cucumber and place them on your affected eyes. Let it remain for 30 minutes.
- Repeat it every day until you see desired results in healing your eye naturally.
3. Tea Bags
Tea is a rich source of healing component called tannins that helps to reduce the redness of eyes. Even the anti inflammatory properties in tea bags will help to prevent this condition easily.
- Take used tea bags and put in refrigerator an hour before you use it. Now, place them on your eyes and leave them for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this twice in a day to get beneficial results.
4. Aloe Vera
The natural herb aloe vera also helps to treat this condition due to its anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties. It can soothe red and irritated eyes easily.
- Take some aloe Vera gel and blend it with little amount of water. Now, take this mixture and keep it in refrigerator for an hour.
- Soak two cotton pads along with this mixture and place them on your affected eyes and let it remain for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy at least once in a day.
5. Coconut Oil
Another natural ingredient to treat this condition is coconut oil. The medium chain fatty acids, anti inflammatory and moisturizing properties reduce the inflammation and keep your eyes lubricated.
- Pour a drop of 100% virgin coconut oil in the corners of your affected eyes and blink away the excess oil.
- You should do this twice regularly to get rid of red eyes.
6. Rose Water
Rose water contains soothing and relaxing effects to heal this condition. The anti inflammatory properties in rose water help to reduce the inflammation and irritation of your eyes.
- Soak two cotton pads in little amount of rose water and place them on your affected eyes, leave them for 15 minutes.
- Repeat it 2 times in a day.